West Stanislaus Irrigation District
WSID was established in 1920 for the purpose of providing water for area farmers to grow crops in the San Joaquin Valley. WSID provides irrigation water to approximately 20,236 acres within its service area as well as 2,207 acres within the White Lake Mutual Water Company service area. Crops grown in WSID’s service area are primarily orchards and row crops including almonds, walnuts, apricots, cherries, tomatoes, beans, corn, grapes, olives, and melons. The average farm in WSID’s service area is about 160 acres.
Currently, 347 cfs is diverted into the WSID intake canal from the San Joaquin and Tuolumne Rivers in Stanislaus County. The 347 cfs includes 262 cfs diverted in accordance with WSID’s License Number 3957 (Permit 2758, Application 1987), (“License”) 45 cfs diverted to meet the WSID’s 1939 contractual obligation to provide White Lake Mutual Water Company with 45 cfs to meet its riparian right, and 40 cfs diverted to convey riparian water to the Refuge, located adjacent to the intake canal. In 1997, the federal government acquired the lands where the intake canal is located to form the SJRNWR. WSID’s easement runs with the land and remains intact.
WSID’s point of diversion under its License is located on the San Joaquin River just upstream of the confluence of the Tuolumne and San Joaquin Rivers. Water from the point of diversion gravity flows through the approximately two-mile long unlined intake canal to WSID’s Lift Station No. 1. In addition, WSID facilities include three miles of concrete lined main lift canal, 45 miles of concrete lined laterals, 14 miles of unlined laterals, 22 miles of concrete pipe sub laterals and approximately 4,000 feet of concrete pipe connecting to the DMC turnout. WSID has six lift pumps within their system for moving San Joaquin River and CVP water throughout the service area.
WSID also receives Central Valley Project (CVP) water from the Delta Mendota Canal (DMC) per their contract 14-06-200-1072-LTR. The contract provides for delivery up to 50,000 acre-feet (AF) of project water annually used to supplement crop delivery requirements from March 1 through February 28.
|Location:||Stanislaus and San Joaquin Counties|
|Date Organized||May 20, 1920|
|First Delivery of Water||1929 Season|
|Main Source of Water||San Joaquin and Tuolumne River|
|Supplemental Water Source||CVP Project-Delta Mendota Canal|
|Irrigation Wells||5 Wells|
|Cities and Towns||Westley, Grayson, Vernails|
|Population (recent census)||603|
|District Gross Area||23,418|
|District Irrigable Acres||20,236|
|White Lake Area||2,207|
|Water Rights by Diversion||262 second feet|
|Intake Canal (unlined, gravity)||2 miles|
|Main Canal (concrete-lined, six lifts)||3 miles|
|Main Delta Mendota Diversion Pipeline (cap. 180 cfs)||0.25 miles|
|Southern Delta Mendota Diversion Pipeline (cap. 40 cfs)||0.75 miles|
|Main Laterals (concrete-lined)||45 miles|
|Main Lateral (Unlined)||14 miles|
|Sub-Laterals (concrete piped)||22 miles|
|Number of Drainage Wells||2 Wells|
|Concrete Piped Drains||30 miles|
|Drainage Ditches||68 miles|
The Men Behind the Job
THE MEN BEHIND THE JOB .-1. President W. W. Cox. . 2. Chief Engineer W. W. Woolley.
Directors: 3. Ralph H. Zacharias. 4. Frank Cox. 5. N. E. Welty. 6. James P. Hammonds.
Given the finest of natural resources, in the final analysis it is the men behind a development proposition that make or break it. In the case of West Stanislaus, not only has the district been blessed with an ideal layout, but it has been extremely fortunate in having the finest type of business men to control its affairs.
All of the directors are large-scale farmers - men to whom a thousand acres has been small change in farming operations through long years of grain ranching. As such, they have of necessity not only been farmers but shrewd business men as well, and their executive ability has been devoted to good use in district planning.
Noah E. Welty, dean of the board, is a pioneer rancher of the district and has seen the dry years pile up for too long to not appreciate the blessings of irrigation. President W. W. Cox and his brother, Frank Cox, have not farmed in the district for a long period, but are sons of a pioneer, and the same applies to Ralph H. Zacharias and James P. Hammonds, who complete the directorship.
Their administration of district affairs has been marked by complete lack of friction and by sane, efficient decisions on the many vital points that have come up to be weighed and passed on, and their judgment is reflected in the complete harmony that reigns throughout the district. One of the board’s best examples of good judgment, however, was when they selected W. Woolley as chief engineer. He needs no word of praise here. The district plant is his monument and any layman can appreciate the extraordinary skill that has gone into the design and construction of the system. The records of the first season’s operation testify to efficiency that is well above the performance that might be expected of such an installation.
Patterson Irrigator - 1920's